The North Douglas Park & Recreation District strives to provide quality recreational options for the growth, enjoyment and development of the entire North Douglas community. The North Douglas Memorial Swimming Pool remains the center of offerings to the isolated, rural community, with safe, quality instruction & recreation shared with swimmers of all ages.
Authored by Harold Burris, Previous NDPR Board Member and Greater Drain Historian and Archivist
Edited by Judith Burnett, Current NDPR District Manager
In 1946, local business leaders, headed by Jim Whipple, purchased the property lying between the railroad tracks and Drain Union High School from Anna Drain. The funds to purchase the parcel came from community fundraising, benefit movie showing, and a paper drive. The North Douglas Living War Memorial Committee was formed and fundraising began to build a 45 x 75 ft. swimming pool, tennis courts, park and lighted baseball field. The cost was $100,000 and was financed completely by community scrap drives, benefit shows, auctions, and donated work and equipment of the lumber community.
The North Douglas Living War Memorial was dedicated July 25, 1948. The North Douglas Living War Memorial operated the Pool for at least ten years with the addition of a hired recreation director and summer baseball.
At some point in time, the Drain/North Douglas School District took over operations of the Pool and the County ended up with the park. Douglas County, having made minimal contributions to the park over the years by allowing the routine maintenance and upkeep to be handled by the City of Drain finally granted complete ownership to the city in 2019. The School District operated the Pool for several years, but, due to budget cuts, was not able to operate it in 1991. The city stepped in and operated it for the 1991 season while the parks and recreation district was being formed. The current District follows the same boundaries as the School District, and works as a Special District within our community. North Douglas Parks and Recreation District owns 1.54 acres which includes the Pool, tennis court and the grassy area between the Pool and Moreland Ave. Summer youth baseball and softball programs were operated by the North Douglas Summer Recreation Program at this time, but eventually merged with NDPR. NDPR now operates seasonal youth sports programs including baseball, softball, flag football, wrestling, basketball and volleyball for the area youth.
The North Douglas Parks and Recreation District has a ten-year facility use agreement with the School District for use of the playing/practice fields. Over the last several years, NDPR has invested heavily in upgrading the fields and the building of dugouts and storage/concession stand structures among the several field sites.
*The North Douglas Park and Recreation District was created on November 3, 1992 as authorized by Oregon Revised Statute 266.410(5) and as approved by voters on that date.
Current Board Members as of Dec 13th, 2021
Board Chairperson: Emily Reed
Board Members: Jeff Rabuck, Katie Decker, Lacy McHaffie, and Brent Taylor